Reply to topic     discoverlebanon.com Forum Index » Be Lebanese Be Creative
  View previous topic
View next topic
Eternal Lebanon - Made in Lebanon
admin
Site Admin

Post Eternal Lebanon - Made in Lebanon Reply with quote
Eternal Lebanon

Land of hospitality by excellence... There is strong reason to believe that our "tfaddalo" and "ahla wsahla" - our two common expressions to invite people into our homes - have been handed down to us by the Phoenicians, a culture known for its openness to things foreign, thanks notably to its wide-raging commercial ventures... but there is more.

Another factor, no less important than the legacy of those who preceded us on this earth, completes the picture. Certainly, the number of conquerors who invaded this country through the ages is not unrelated to our custom of receiving contemporary visitors with the open arms...

But regardless of the origins of our warm hospitality, this peculiarity distinguishes profoundly our country from the rest of the world.

Nowhere else will you find a stranger, entirely unfamiliar to you; invite you to have breakfast at his home merely because you had earlier asked him where to find a bakery.
Nowhere else will you be offered not one, not two, but three loaves of bread simply for having inquired along your way from on old lady who was baking dough upon her saj?
Nowhere else will you be offered your "lahem baajine" with an additional bag of loaves (for the family) simply because you had decided to take photographs of a traditional bakery, found randomly along the way?
Nowhere else will you have lemonade delivered to your table while you await the return of your associate, who was off snapping photographs nearby; and more, no sooner is the lemonade finished that a jellab arrives, and heaven forbid you should decline or, worse, try to settle the tab.
Nowhere else... and the examples are countless.

I pay homage to such individuals of modest means who, with their natural gestures and unbeknownst to them, have safeguarded the charming and unique traditions of our country. It is thanks to them that I still retain a certain pride to belong to this land. And yet...

Nowhere else have I come across such deep behavioral contradictions as in Lebanon? Are these not the same people waging war against each other? Is it not they who, with their unthinking conduct, participate more each day in the destruction of the country?!

I have chosen to author this book with the hope of brining to the attention of my compatriots, and to the extent of my ability, not merely the positive features of our dear country, but also the issues that sadden....

If there still exists a glimmer of hope that we may learn from our mistakes, understand them in order to correct them, and pass on to future generations a country in which life is good, we must first recognize our ills.

My dearest wish is to witness one day my country become a model of peaceful living, wholesome and tolerant, where Right is the equivalent of Justice; that it become the envy of the world, and that I regain my childhood pride of belonging to this incomparable land... If only we could come to realize the priceless human and natural treasure that we are in the process of losing by obstinately following this logic of self-destruction; if only we could render the utopia a reality...

To the person who taught me that dreams, however foolish, constitute the very foundations of life; To Bachir,

I dedicate this work

Pierre Bared
Extract from the book 'Made in Lebanon'

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:18 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
admin
Site Admin

Post Fait au Liban - Liban Eternel par Pierre Bared Reply with quote
Fait au Liban - Liban Eternel par Pierre Bared

Terre d'accueil par excellence... Il y a fort à parier que notre "Tfadalo et Ahla wsahla", deux expressions courantes signifiant l'invitation à entrer chez soi, nous proviennent de l'époque phénicienne, peuple connu pour son ouverture vers l'étranger grâce, notamment, à ses navires de commerce... mais pas seulement.

Un autre facteur non moins important que l'influence de ceux qui nous ont précédés sur cette terre vient compléter le tableau. Le nombre de conquérants qui a envahi ce pays à travers les âges n'est sans doute pas étranger à cette coutume de recevoir les visiteurs contemporains les bras ouverts...

Mais qu'importe l'origine de cet accueil chaleureux, l'important étant que cette singularité distingue profondément notre pays du reste du monde.

Nulle part vous ne verrez quelqu'un, sans même vous connaître, vous inviter à prendre le petit déjeuner chez lui juste pour lui avoir demandé où trouver une boulangerie.
Nulle part vous ne vous verrez vous offrir non pas un, non pas deux mais trois pains pour vous êtres simplement renseigné sur votre chemin auprès d'une vieille dame entrain de cuire sa patte sur son saj.
Nulle part l'on vous offrira votre "Lahem Baajine" et un sac de pain en prime (pour la maison) parce que vous avez décidez de prendre des photos d'une boulangerie traditionnelle au hasard de votre passage.
Nulle part vous ne verrez la limonade arriver jusqu'a votre table en attendant votre équipier parti prendre des photos à côté, et comme si cela ne suffisait pas, à peine la limonade terminée, voir débarquer un jellab et gare si vous refusez ou pire si vous essayez de régler l'addition.
Nulle part ailleurs... et les exemples sont innombrables.

Je rends hommage à ces petites gens qui, à travers des gestes tous naturels ont, sans même s'en douter, sauvegardé des traditions si belles et si singulières à notre pays. C'est grâce à eux que je garde encore une certaines fierté d'appartenir à cette terre. Et pourtant...

Nulle part ailleurs je n'ai rencontré des contradictions du comportement aussi soulignées qu'au Liban. N'est-ce pas ces mêmes gens qui se font la guerre? N'est-ce pas eux qui contribuent chaque jour à détruire un peu plus cette terre par un comportement irréfléchi?!

J'ai choisi de réaliser ce livre dans le but de contribuer, à mon échelle, à attirer l'attention de mes compatriotes non seulement sur les aspects positifs de notre cher pays mais également sur les sujets qui fâchent...

S'il existe encore un brin d'espoir que nous puissions apprendre au travers de nos erreurs, les assimiler afin de les corriger, pour transmettre aux générations futures une terre où il ferait bon vivre, encore faudrait-il prendre conscience de ce qui ne va pas.

Mon plus cher souhait serait de voir un jour mon pays devenir un exemple de vie paisible, saine et tolérante ou le Droit sera l'équivalent de la Justice, que le reste du monde nous envie, et recouvrer ma fierté d'enfant d'appartenir à cette terre si singulière... Si l'on pouvait mieux constater ce que nous sommes entrain de perdre, cet inestimable trésor humain et naturel en s'attachant obstinément à cette logique d'autodestruction:
Si nous pouvions rendre l'utopie réalité...

A celui qui m'a appris que le rêve, aussi fou soit-il, constitue le fondement même de la vie, à Bachir.

Je dédie cet ouvrage

Pierre Bared
Extract from the book 'Made in Lebanon'

Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:16 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic     discoverlebanon.com Forum Index » Be Lebanese Be Creative

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Panoramic Views | Photos | Ecards | Posters | Map | Directory | Weather | White Pages | Recipes | Lebanon News | Eco Tourism
Phone & Dine | Deals | Hotel Reservation | Events | Movies | Chat |
Wallpapers | Shopping | Forums | TV and Radio | Presentation

Copyright DiscoverLebanon 97 - 2020. All Rights Reserved

Advertise | Terms of use | Credits