Abou Abed Joke Lebanese character

Reply to topic     discoverlebanon.com Forum Index » Be Lebanese Be Creative
  View previous topic
View next topic
Abou Abed Joke Lebanese character
admin
Site Admin

Post Abou Abed Joke Lebanese character Reply with quote
Abou Abed, with his red tarbouche hat and considerable moustache (a symbol of his virility, no doubt), is one of the most recognizable comic characters in Lebanon. A figment of our imaginations, he has evolved to almost celebrity status and is at the center of an ever-growing number of jokes. He spends his time hanging out with his friend Abou Steif in a Beirut coffee shop where they play cards and backgammon. Over endless cups of tea, they tell each other far-fetched stories, usually orientated around their sexual potency. Not very well-off, he regularly tries his luck with card games and the lottery.

Abou Abed is married to Em Abed (literally, the mother of Abed) and has a son called, of course, Abed: they bear the brunt of his jokes - but sometimes manage to turn the tables back on him. We are always left guessing as to his profession and sexual orientation - he never seems to be working, and he is game for anything.

My fascination with Abou Abed began many years ago, during Lebanon's Civil War, when many of us were forced to stay close to home for long stretches of time. Evenings were spent with family and neighbors, telling Abou Abed jokes to forget the tensions; my husband is especially renowned for his incredible repertoire and elaborates renditions. A few years ago, I started to write down some of these jokes from memory, and the idea of publishing a book to introduce Lebanon's best-loved comic character to a wider audience came to mind.

Some of you are sure to dwell on my choice of jokes and may be disappointed about not seeing your favorite here. Those of you familiar with Abou Abed's character will know that some of his best stories are spicy and X-rated.

In my opinion, Abou Abed belongs to a utopian age when the average Lebanese had no real problems and all a man needed to worry about was how to have a good time with his friends. He represents the ordinary Lebanese guy, with all of his flaws, but also his greatness - in this case, an exceptional sense of humor. Although his stories cheer us up, I have often wondered how Abou Abed can get away with being such a chauvinist bigot - and still always come out on top, looking like a working-class hero!

So where is he now? Abou Abed seems to be eternal and a survivor - he lives on with each and every generation in Lebanon. In terms of character, he may leave much to be desired - but as long the jokes keep rolling in, who cares? Let's keep on searching, and let me know where you find him, I always love to hear his stories first-hand!

And last but not least, a big thanks to the incredibily talented Patrick who has brought Abou Abed to life and into the 21st century.

Sabina, Beirut, December 2008 Extract from the book The Abou Abed Joke
Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:23 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic     discoverlebanon.com Forum Index » Be Lebanese Be Creative

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: 

Panoramic Views | Photos | Ecards | Posters | Map | Directory | Weather | White Pages | Recipes | Lebanon News | Eco Tourism
Phone & Dine | Deals | Hotel Reservation | Events | Movies | Chat |
Wallpapers | Shopping | Forums | TV and Radio | Presentation

Copyright DiscoverLebanon 97 - 2020. All Rights Reserved

Advertise | Terms of use | Credits