Jezzine (22 km from Sidon) is the most famous summer and touristic resort of South Lebanon because of its beautiful landscape and its 40m high waterfall. Vital public facilities contributed in making Jezzine the most important town in the area. To get there, follow the Sidon - Hlayliyye - Majdelyun - Salhiyye - Lebea - Rum - Homsiye road. The town is located on the slopes of Tumat Niha and is surrounded with pine forests, vineyards and orchards. From the top of the huge rocky promontory known as al Shir, the visitor enjoys a breathtaking view of the surrounding localities scattered over a fertile plain and protected by mountains.
In the valley is a natural cave known as the Fakhreddine Cave because the Lebanese Emir took refuge there to escape Ottoman persecution. While his father Qurqumaz hid and died in this cave, Fakhreddine was caught and taken to Istanbul.
Jezzine is one of the most ancient towns in Lebanon, and was used by the Phoenicians to hide their treasure in times of war.
Jezzine is a historic town, where ancient sarcophagi and Crusader remains have been found. To this remote past also belongs an old ruined mosque. The most famous historical monuments are, however, more recent:
-The Saint Anthony Convent, belonging to the Antonine Order (1774)
-The Serail (1898)
-The Farid Serhal Palace, a monumental building in the oriental style where an impressive collection of valuable antiquities is to be found.
Jezzine is the center of the Caza, where several public administrative offices, banks, hotels, restaurants and amusement centers are found. The town is famous for its traditional cutlery and daggers. The tourist can also visit the fish farming installations, which are important to Jezzin’s economy.
Most villages of the Jezzine area are summer resorts. Located at an average altitude of 950m, they are endowed by nature with beautiful pine forests and orchards.Five kilometers from Jezzin lies Bkassin, a lovely quiet village. From there, continue to Banawati, 7 km from Jezzin, where two old domed Moslem shrines stand on a hill. The larger one, known as Nabi Misha, is notable for its fine stone work. The smaller shrine is called “nabbiyye,” the feminine form of the word “nabi,” or prophet. In the village of Mashmushe, which was the first seat of the Maronite bishopric in the area, you can visit the beautiful 18th century monastery.
On the main Jezzine-Sidon road are the villages of Homsiye and Rum. The latter is surrounded by vineyards, pine forests and orchards. Three kilometers west of Rum lies Anan, an old Byzantine settlement, famous for its artificial lake, fed by the Litani River through a 16 km-long tunnel. West of Anan is a small Crusader fort, known as Abi al Hasan Citadel, located on an 80m high promontory.
Continue in the direction of Sidon to the villages of Leba (22 km) and Kafr Jarra (23 km) where second millennium B.C. rock-cut tombs have been excavated. One of these is located near the rear wall of a small house near the village entrance. It is in the vicinity of the old church. Near Kafr Jarra is the Church of Saint John the Baptist, one of the oldest churches in the area. It was built in the 16th century and restored for the first time in 1755 may be seen from the inscription above its main entrance. This church was partly destroyed by the Israeli bombardment and the Lebanese Directorate of Antiquities is presently restoring it.
The area south of Jezzine displays beautiful scenery. In the midst of pine forests and orchards lie the villages of Kfarhuna, Aramta, Rihan, Ayshie and al-Jarmak. West of Aramta are the villages of Mallikh, Lwayze and Jernaya. All these localities are important summer resorts because of their beautiful natural environment and their healthy climate.
- Jezzine General View: >> View Movie << (2003-09-01)