This cathedral dedicated to Saint George was built by Mgr Joseph Debs. Work began in 1884 and the edifice was finally consecrated on Palm Sunday in 1894.
Built on the plan of a basilica with its nave and two lateral aisles separated by two rows of columns, the cathedral has a façade of neo-classical style. The interior bears a general resemblance to that of St. Mary Major in Rome.
Largely remodeled in the time of Mgr Ziadeh, Archbishop of Beirut between 1952 and 1986, the cathedral suffered during the Lebanese war of 1975 to 1990, being both plundered and defaced. A number of works of art that were looted have since been recovered and the famous painting by Delacroix representing Saint George, the cathedral's patron, has been restored. After the damage had been repaired, the cathedral was re-inaugurated by Maronite Patriarch His Beatitude Nassrallah Sfeir on 24th April, 2000.
The Mosque El-Omari
One of the outstanding monuments of the city of Beirut is the great Mosque, or Jami' El-Omari, whose main door opens on the street Rue Weygand.
It was originally a church of the knights of St. Joan of the Hospital, dedicated to St. Joan the Baptist. This church was built in 1113, on the side of a former Byzantine place of worship which itself had been erected on the ruins of an ancient pagan temple. Following the departure of the Crusaders in 1291, the church was transformed into a Mosque and remodeled.
A doorway was created in the east apse and a mirhab and a minaret were added.
- St. George Cathedral: >> View Movie << (2001-01-01)
- The Mosque El-Omari: >> View Movie << (2001-01-01)